Further information about ALL the following can be found in The Southern Explorer Route Guide.
MORE INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND IN THE SOUTHERN EXPLORER, A FREE ROUTE GUIDE WILL BE GIVEN TO EACH FAMILY VISITING US
Southport Blue Flag beach is nearest – only 1.5 km away with a main beach, natural rock pool and many smaller rock pools where toddlers and smaller children can enjoy splashing or looking for small sea-life. Life savers are on duty each day. There is also a restaurant on the premises.
A Blue Flag certification ensures that such a beach must adhere to stringent health and safety standards – visitors are swimming in clean water and using hygienic facilities.
Umtentweni Beach is second nearest – a main beach, a granny pool and a take-away cafe on site.
Things to do
Click on the links in red below for more information
- Pop in at some of the not so known, quaint little beaches which are real gems in our area;
- Play Golf at one of the 11 Golf Courses on our coastline with Port Shepstone Country Club the nearest, only 8 km.
- There are 2 world-class deep-sea diving sites in our area: Aliwal Shoal at Umkomaas and Protea Banks at Shelly Beach.
- Snorkling and scuba diving are two other activities to keep our visitors busy.
- Fishing … book one of the many deep sea charters or catch from the shore at the many fishing spots like Southport Beach, Seapark, Sandpits near Port Shepstone, Orange Rocks in Uvongo, Margate Pier and several other spots along our coastline.
- During June and July the sardine migration takes place known as The Greatest Shoal on earth and not to be missed as this can be a once in a life time experience.
- Between June and December Humpback Whales and Dolphins can be viewed from the shore or from the whale viewing decks in Umtentweni, Ramsgate and Southbroom
- Bird Watching at Thandulula is in abundance and the regular call of the Fish Eagle is sure to reward our guests.
- Also Visit Sky-Line, Mpenjati, Umtamvuna, Southbroom and Oribi Gorge nature reserves; Do not forget to book a date at the Oribi Vulture Viewing Hide.
- Wild life like the small Blue duiker and Bushbuck are regular sightings in and around Thandulula …. not to mention the very strange call of the shy Tree Hyrax (Tree dassie) at night times which has many a guest wondering who or what makes that peculiar noise.
- Horse riding at Umzumbe Stables, Selsdon Park and Lake Eland
Bush Bucks roaming on the unfenced part of our property
Visit the following:
- Basset Breweries for beer and gin
- Three lighthouses: Green Point between Umkomaas and Scottburgh,
Port Shepstone Light House and North Sands Bluff in Port Edward.
- The smallest desert in the world – The Red Desert in Port Edward.
- The Petrified Forest at Wild Coast Sun – book through them.
- For coffee lovers, Beaver Creek Coffee farm is the place to be.
- Mac Bananas for a one-stop family experience – from their famous pancakes to adventures, family fun activities and much, much more.
Sports Activities are:
- Mountain biking; visit the Burry Stander Bike Park which offers a 2 km cross country track as well as 5 km farm track; our area is also involved in two multi stage events like Sani2C and Joberg2C
- Several nature walking trails and trail running;
- 4 x 4 routes for motorsport enthusiasts or visit Dezzi Race Track in Oslo Beach
- Great surfing opportunities with best surfing time between May and August; surfing hot spots at Umzumbe, Banana Beach, Umtentweni and other beaches; there are also several surfing schools.
- Kite surfing is also popular and equipment can be hired.
- For adrenaline action lovers here are: white water rafting, zip-lining, do the Wild 5 Gorge swing which is the highest in the world, dare to walk the 80 metre suspension bridge at Lake Eland; do shark cage diving or micro lighting.
- Visit Extreme Karting for go-karts, quad bikes, paint ball and archery.